Frequently Asked Questions
Legal Procedure of Change of name (Deed Poll) and Gazetting
The legal procedure of changing a name is provided for under, The Oaths Act (Cap 19), the Births and Deaths Registration Act (Cap 309) and the Registration of Documents Act (Cap 81).
- Find a lawyer to draft for you a Deed Poll stating the changes you are making, then sign the deed poll and swear by it (Affidavit).
- Thereafter, the Deed Poll is registered with the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) in the documents register for record purposes.
- After registration at URSB, Gazette the change of name in the Uganda Gazette which is printed and Published at Uganda Printing and Publishing Corporation (UPPC).
- You Gazette by delivering the registered document and proof of payment of the Gazette fee at any of the UPPC offices.
- UPPC has offices in:
- Entebbe, Plot 8-12, Airport Road
- UPPC Kampala Office, Plot 6 Kimathi Avenue, Airways House, Ground Floor, Kampala
- Northern Uganda: Prof. Nyeko Jack Pen Mogi (+256-774138552), Plot 16, Bank Lane, Market Square, Gulu City, Uganda (Efficiency Company and General Supplies Ltd)
- Eastern Uganda: Mr. Jengo Edward (+256-752374253 / +256-772374253), Plot 8, Nile Garden, P.O. Box 1741 Jinja, Uganda (Agent for Newspapers, Magazines and Advertising)
- Western Uganda: Mr. Kwebiiha Araali (+256-702548687 / +256-782548687), Plot 36, High Street, P. O. Box 276 Mbarara, Uganda
Publishing an Ordinary Deed Poll in the Uganda Gazette costs UGX. 345,000/= For more details, please check our Rate Card.